The following post was written by Tiffany Turner, a rising junior in the Bonner Leader Program at the Campus Y who received a Bonner NC Summer of Service grant for her internship at TABLE; she also received a Jamie Kirk Hahn Foundation summer fellowship.
It has been such a joy to come into TABLE each week and spend time with Laura, Ashton, Suzi, Julia and all of the other interns! TABLE is always a nest of activity, especially this week as we shifted delivery to Tuesday instead of our typical Thursday. We did this because we wanted to make sure that our kids received one last bag of food before their last day of school! This year we amazingly delivered 17,528 bags for TABLE, which is an increase of 5,193 bags from last year. We could not have done this without the help of key volunteers, donors, Tar Heel TABLE and other on-campus organizations!
I had this preconceived notion that TABLE was not a buzzing place during the summer months, especially since our largest program (Weekend Meal Backpack Program) occurs during the school year, but Boy! Was I wrong! This summer we are partnering with No Child Hungry NC, Varsity Church, and Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools to provide food to over 1,600 kids! To read more about this effort, visit http://chapelboro.com/news/health/chapel-hill-and-carrboro-launch-summer-lunch-program
I believe that I am truly starting to see the ins and outs of a nonprofit, especially what it takes to run one successfully year-round!
What I’m Doing . . .
- Creating an excel sheet to upload into SalesForce and Mailchimp of people who entered the raffle at our Food Truck Rodeo event.
- Posting program updates and more on social media, specifically FaceBook.
- Responding to emails about volunteering opportunities about TABLE.
- Looking into TABLE’s current list of grants that we apply for, checking if they’re still existing, keeping track of deadlines, and adding additional grants to our list!
- I will be applying for 1 grant this summer! If you have a suggestion for a particular one, please let me know!
What I’ve Learned Already . . .
- How to determine eligibility for particular grants.
- The importance of keeping track of my to-do list all in one place
- If you haven’t heard of the online website called Asana (10 out of 10 would recommend!)